Mark Richard Hamill was born on September 25, 1951, and he is an accomplished stage, screen and voice performer. More than 40 years ago, Hamill arrived on the silver screen as Luke Skywalker in Star Wars: A New Hope. The Oakland, California born Mark Hamill had started his career by playing a recurring role on the soap opera General Hospital and a leading role in a short-duration sitcom The Texas Wheelers. Later he played characters in various TV films before getting his big break that we all know about. In fact, it was probably his destiny that brought him to Star Wars.
Hamill’s friend Robert Englund auditioned for Apocalypse Now, and that’s when he walked to the other side of the hall where auditions for Star Wars were going on. When he had a look at the auditions, he realized that the character of Luke Skywalker was a good fit for Mark Hamill. Star Wars: A New Hope released in 1977 and it turned out to be such a big hit that Hamill got to feature in Star Wars Holiday Special in 1978 besides being cast in The Empire Strikes Back and The Return Of The Jedi. For the last more than four decades, the iconic performer has been synonymous with Luke Skywalker, but, whether you know it or not, he has a much bigger portfolio and has demonstrated his talents as an actor as well as an incredible voice artist.
Apart from his professional brilliance, Mark Hamill is also a fantastic person who gives you plenty of reasons to love him. He is witty, has a fantastic sense of humor and is extremely active on Twitter. The fact is whether you love Star Wars or are so unfamiliar with it that you can’t identify the Millennium Falcon, it is undeniable that Mark Hamill is an actor who will win you over. Here we present to you 15 reasons why Mark Hamill is so lovable.
1. Mark Hamill has only gotten better with age
2. Don’t get us wrong, he’s been cool from the very beginning — here he is re-enacting the classic Star Wars poster with Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher
3. He’s made millions of fans happy
4. He’s a staunch defender of the prequels (and Jake Lloyd)
5. Some of his stories are unbelievably heartwarming
6. Mark never goes anywhere without his favorite jumper
He’s got a pretty good sense of humor about it, too
7. In fact, Mark has a pretty good sense of humor about most everything
8. That includes interactions with fans…
9. …and of course self-depricating jokes
10. People think Sebastian Stan (aka the Winter Soldier) looks a heck of a lot like a young Mark Hamill, and they’re not wrong